Dovercourt village was founded in the 1870’s. The original residents were poor immigrants from England who lived in a “shanty town” of building made from tar paper shacks. Over the years a flow of immigrant groups settled in the village. In 1912 the city of Toronto annexed Dovercourt Village.
Access to city services helped the village to grow, develop and prosper. The waves of immigrants who arrived brought their culture and prosperity. At one time the Village was a thriving business area. Two street car lines ran through the village. One streetcar line ran along Dovercourt Road and the other ran along Hallam.